Sacred Heart Community ServicePosted: November 9, 2013
Sacred Heart Community Service is another leading non-profit agency that provides essential services to low income families and individuals. Get access to food baskets, infant formula, diapers, sack lunches, gently used clothing, rental and housing assistance, and information and referral services to California and federal government programs, such as Section 8 housing.
- Food assistance is offered from the emergency supplement. Each customer of the agency can get, as resources allow, a grocery bag of nonperishable items, produce, meat product, eggs, a loaf of bread, and more. Free holiday meals may be offered too.
- A Clothes Closet is in Santa Clara. It allows people to browse and “shop”, free of charge for the items they need, including school or professional work attire.
- Apply to the Utility Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, at Sacred Heart. This is a federal government funded program that helps low-income households with paying their home energy bills. It operates both during the winter and can help with summer air conditioning bills. Also get assistance in weatherizing your home and making energy-related home repairs to it.
- Education is a focus of Sacred Heart Community Service. The location wants to educate the entire family and build a culture of academic success. The non-profit will offer classes and workshops in Santa Clara County to low-income families in Spanish and English, English as a Second Language, nutrition, GED training and more.
- Financial education is available. This can include financial workshops, Credit improvement, personal financial coaching, and savings options and development account referrals.
- Job programs include vocational coaching and placement. Work with a case manager at a job search center. Sign up for resume writing classes, Interview preparation and access a number of job development and placement services in Santa Clara County. Together you can break the cycle of poverty through asset development, credit improvement, financial coaching, and job placement.
- The agency will advocate for policy change to fight predatory lending practices and to improve access to government and public benefits.
- Other services available include programs for children under the age of 5, emergency domestic violence intervention, leadership classes and more.
Work with a case manager applying for Public Benefits, both federal government and state of California. This includes food stamps, Medical, health insurance, utility assistance, WIC, low income housing and more. You can learn about the process and get support to ensure you are treated fairly by the system.
Sacred Heart Community Service offers many other resources. Stop by or call them at 1381 South First St., San José, California 95110. Telephone (408) 278-2160.